In this article I'll present step-by-step how I build Retro Arcade Machine. It's not really hard to do, so if you have basic skills in tools, I'm sure you can do it.
Let's start with required parts and costs:
- Plywood plates. I recommend to buy veneered ones. You will save time and the money for painting. Quantity and sizes which I used to build my machine are in xls file (cost ~130$)
- Arcade stick and buttons. I've used parts bought on chineese aliexpress.com. Whole package includes:
Include 1: 2 player USB adapter PCB
Include 2: 2 x red long shaft joystick
Include 3: 16 x Transparency Illuminated push buttons
Include 4: LED bulbs,holders,fixing nuts
Include 5: wire for 2 player USB PCB
Include 6: 1 x player 1 & 2 pushbutton with microswitch
Include 7: 1 x LED cable, 1 x Daisy Chain Ground Wires
was about 30$ + 25$ shipping (total cost 55$), which is cheap.
- Sound. As an amplifier I've used cheap LP-268 Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier. (10$)
- Speakers. 2x10cm Boschmann G-4532 S 85W speakers. Included cable was very thin and bad quality, so I've used thicker 2x2mm HQ cable. (17$).
- Computer. Desktop DELL Optiplex GX740 with 2GB of RAM (50$), NVidia GeForce 210 (40$) 500GB HDD (25$) (it's required minimum to have Hyperspin Arcade front-end installed with most roms and emulators). (total 115$)
- 19' 4:3 LCD monitor, with 1280x1024 native resolution. (50$)
- Cooling. 2xSilentiumPC Zephyr 120mm fan + grill. (20$)
- Lighting. 5m RGB LED + 12V PSU. + 4m plastic profile to mount LED's in. (35$)
- Stickers with custom made graphics for control panel, marguee and bezel. (30$)
- Plexiglass for marquee (60x10cm), bezel (60x55cm) and control panel (60x35cm). (33$)
- Screws (3$), rubber foots (x4 - 3$) and rollers (x2 - 3$) for the bottom, hinges for front door and keyboard door (x4 - 8$) (17$ in total)
- Minor parts: USB hub, USB cable, speaker cable, power socket with power switch (~20$)
Total cost ~530$.
How to put those things together? Below gallery speaks for itself. If you have any questions regarding this project feel free to ask.